Filipino style foods

Food, glorious food and I can attest to the fact that food and me have a great relationship. Also as a person that has travelled to a lot of countries and experienced a broad range of  ethic styles, it has taken me some time to come to grips with the limited range of foods that you can get here in the Philippines.. Ooops did I just say that, well I stand to be corrected as once you dig deeper in to the different plates that are available you will experience a whole range of different tastes and styles.


It goes without saying that the Filipinos have a sweet tooth, you only have to look at the type of tomato spaghetti sauces in the supermarkets plus the range of ready made cheese squeezes you can buy, and lets not talk about Jollibee servings.

For myself, its about the spices, sweet and sour tastes that you can get in your foods, and as I have spent most of my time with a base in San Fernando La Union Luzon, we have been blessed with wonderful local fresh food markets with those extra bits and pieces being brought down from Baguio market gardeners. Each day there is fresh herbs and more of the exotic type foods available, plus at the end of the day the tables are full of the daily fish catches.

So really what would I would call the main courses you would expect here in the Philippines. things like Pork Adobo- Pork Stewed in Vinegar, Soy Sauce and Garlic, Sinigang na Hipon - Shrimp Sinigang, Chicken Curry Filipino Style, Sisig, Pancit Bihon, Lumpia, Chopsuey, Pinakbet and Laing are all words you are going to hear at one time or another and dont be afraid of any of these dishes as they are all good. Plus don't forget the sweet tooth side of things, Mango Float, Leche Flan, Eggpie, Yema and Polvoron.


Pork Adobo- Pork Stewed in Vinegar, Soy Sauce and Garlic

I would like to make a special mention of the Lechon both the Chicken and Pork, there is just something about that smokey BBQ taste that makes my mouth water each week when I head down to my local spot to pick it up. Fresh mixed with warm Pandasal breads straight from the bakers ovens makes a late lunch to die for.

Lechon cooking in the afternoon
Mango float - O so bad for you but O so good. 
Sinigang na Hipon - Shrimp Sinigang
Line up for fresh Pandesal - love the smells of fresh breads
Want to do your own cooking of Filipino foods? I use this site sometimes to get my ideas from.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Samar eco-tourism entrepreneurs

Travel Doctor - Philippines

Upgrades